Below are some pictures of Battersea, emblems of Battersea and other Battersea bits and pieces. It is intended to add more over time, including groupings such as 'best pubs' or 'Battersea characters'. We invite visitors to this site to send their own favourite views or ideas for us to consider - click on 'Contact' on the index for contact details.
Almost all the photographs were taken during 2008 and 2009.
Descriptions are provided below each picture.
Please do let us know if we have made any errors in the text or omitted pictures you think should be here!
Coat of Arms of the old Metropolitan Borough of Battersea
- the motto means: "Not for Me, Not for You, But for Us"
Old (unofficial) Battersea coat of arms welcoming people to Battersea as they cross Chelsea Bridge - this version was replaced by a formal grant of arms to the Metroplitan Borough of Battersea from the College of Arms
An original surviving sign that used to greet people as they entered the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea - it shows the official registered arms that replaced the old one used before
'Battersea Mural' in Dagnall Street - probably one of the most magnificent pictures of Battersea ever painted
The Balloon in the mural....perhaps with the artist inside the basket
Battersea Power Station as featured on the mural
Battersea coat of arms above the entrance to Battersea Reference Library in Altenburg Gardens
The same coat of arms in mosaic form on the floor of the entrance hall of the Grand Hall inside the BAC. The blue may look as if its on the wrong side of the shield, but Battersea had adopted this design unofficially, before formalising it at a later date. Some panels were repainted to match the new official design - see above.
NOTE Oct'12: we thank Tref Davies of the BAC, now on the site of the old Town Hall, for getting in touch with us and confirming this bit of historical detail - the different designs have sometimes confused people, including us!
The carving above the entrance to the old Battersea Town Hall (i.e. the BAC)
Old Battersea Town Hall (now the Battersea Arts Centre - BAC)
St John's Road by Clapham Junction
Northcote Road - at the centre of South Battersea, Between the Commons
Albert Bridge - gateway to Battersea
The classical west door of St. Mary's Church on the river, Battersea
Chelsea Bridge crossing to Battersea Park and Battersea Wharf
Albert Bridge, the Peace Pagoda and Battersea Power Station
The Peace Pagoda in Battersea Park
The "Heart of Battersea"
Going "down The Junction"
'Arding & Hobbs' - Battersea's grand old department store at Clapham Junction (now Debenhams)
Debenhams / Arding & Hobbs (junction of Lavender Hill and St. John's Rd)
Clapham Junction Station, St. John's Hill, Battersea
The Grand, St. John's Hill - one of Battersea's old surviving theatres
The Windsor Castle Pub, next to the old Clapham Junction Station building
The Original Clapham Junction Station building on St. John's Hill, once owned by the "London Brighton and South Coast Railway"
Welcome to Clapham Junction Station - today's entrance off St. John's Hill
Proud boast of Battersea......but without the modern facilities to make it Britain's most comfortable railway station.....
Clapham Junction Station, from the Peabody Estate on St. John's Hill
Platform 10 - to Vauxhall and Waterloo - well known to City workers (view looking back away from Waterloo)
Platform 11 and 12 (to Victoria) - view along the track showing a train leaving Platform 10 to Waterloo, with two of the famous chimneys of Battersea Power Station visible in the distance
Battersea Reference Library, Altenburg Gardens and the Battersea emblems and motto above the entrance door "Non Mihi, Non Tibi, Sed Nobis"
Battersea District Library, Lavender Hill
Lavender Hill - Battersea Post Office on left, Battersea Library on right
St. Barnabas's Church, Battersea (Clapham Common Northside)
Parish Boundary Posts of Battersea and Clapham in Wix's Lane and (below) on Clapham Common - more are to be found on Wandsworth Common
The Avenue, Clapham Common (on the Battersea side of the Common)
"Battersea Woods" on the west side of Clapham Common that was once known as "Battersea East Heath"
The clock on St Mary's Church Battersea, as the sun is setting
Another clock....another time - the old Arding & Hobbs clock and the moon
Welsh Chapel, Beauchamp Road off Lavender Hill (the milk trade and railways brought a lot of Welsh people to the Clapham Junction area)
Battersea Rise looking east, by Leathwaite Road
Battersea Rise looking west, with a view of St. Mark's Church
The grand 'gateway' to the Shaftesbury Estate below Lavender Hill
Two of "The Falcons" on Grant Road, seen from Lavender Hill
View across North Battersea from Lavender Hill, showing the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Orbel Street in the centre of the picture and the Montevetro Building beyond
The Doddington Estate running parallel with Battersea Park Road
Side of the Marco Polo building, Queenstown Road by Battersea Park
Sir Walter St John's School, founded in 1700 (now 'Thomas's Battersea'), Battersea High Street
The coat of arms of Sir Walter St John on the side of the school - the St John family were Lords of the Manor of Battersea, lived in the old Manor House and gave their name to St John's Hill, St John's Road etc. When the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea gained an official coat of arms it took the design of a star shown in the St John arms above, but used 16 representing the number of Wards in the Borough at the time
A view of Trade Tower on the Battersea waterfront from St. John's Hill
Lovely old building on St. John's Hill at the corner of St. John's Hill Grove
St. John's Hill - view along south side by Spencer Road
Mural on the corner of Italian restaurant Cucina Napolitana
The award winning St. John's Therapy Centre on St. John's Hill - won a national prize in the Civic Awards for Architecture in June 2008
St. John's Hill looking east towards Clapham Junction
St. Paul's Church, St. John's Hill (now the home of L.A.R.A.)
John Bloxham Gallery - Battersea's most well known art gallery, located on St. John's Hill.....John Bloxham has become a Battersea institution
Churchill's on St. John's Road - not sure if they sell the great man's favourite desert wine Chateau d'Yquem
A well known resident of the Battersea riverside - the ubiquitous Shag or Cormorant
Old barge by St. Mary's Church, Battersea - 'Montreal'
The main entrance hall to the BAC with the grand staircase
The side entrance to the BAC leading to the Grand Hall
Inside the entrance to the Grand Hall, BAC
The glass roof above the Grand Hall's entrance hall
Battersea Bees on the mosaic floor of the entrance hall in the BAC - bees were a symbol of Battersea that allude to the lavender fields that used to exist around what is now Lavender Hill, that were full of bees irresistibly attracted by the lavender flowers
The Beehive Pub - St. John's Hill......drinking hole of the Battersea Bees !
Battersea Park Station, Battersea Park Road
Battersea Park Station - decayed grandeur on display
Plaque on the bridge by Battersea Park Station - an echo from the past
Platform 4 to Victoria, Battersea Park Station
One of the famous Battersea Power Station towers....made to look small
Battersea Gas Tower, a landmark by Battersea Park Station
Railway bridge across Queenstown Road by Battersea Park Road
View west down Battersea Park Road, from Queenstown Road, with Castlemaine Tower brilliant in the morning sun
Castlemaine Tower, St. James' Grove Estate, Culvert Road
The old Raven pub in Westbridge Road, Battersea
The Northcote, on the corner of Northcote Road and Battersea Rise
The Haberdashers Arms, Culvert Road
A Darts match at the Haberdashers
The Lighthouse, Battersea Park Road (formerly The Clockhouse)
The Latchmere - pub and Theatre, Battersea Park Road
The Fox & Hounds, Latchmere Road
The Falcon Pub at Clapham Junction - the original pub was on the banks of the old Falcon Brook, whose source was in the high ground of Tooting and whose course lies under Northcote Road, St. John's Road and Falcon Road towards the River Thames - in 2007 flash floods saw it run again !
The Castle, Battersea High Street
.........the new sign
..........and the old
The Woodman, Battersea High Street
.......and its sign
Battersea barge by Albion Wharf, evoking the busy old river life of Battersea
Battersea swan by Battersea Bridge
Two of Battersea Power Station's gleaming towers
......and two gleaming peaks above Battersea
Millennium Arena, Battersea Park
Entrance to the Millennium Arena
Triffid (?) growing up the side of the Millennium Arena
New developments along Queenstown Road overlooking Battersea Park - these type of developments are transforming Battersea's river front and environs and changing the character of Battersea
........an older Battersea shows itself above the new
Battersea Reach - another new development along the river front, at the very western edge of Battersea
War Memorial to those who laid down their lives in the First and Second World Wars, on the side of the Church of the Ascension, Lavender Hill
The entrance to the Church of the Ascension
The Church of the Ascension, Lavender Hill - the church is an impressive landmark that can be clearly seen from the London Eye
The 2008 memorial to Battersea men, women and children killed in the blitz during the Second World War - this replaced the original that was stolen
Hidden away on the wall of a darkened back staircase in the BAC (the former Town Hall of Battersea - a memorial to 10th (Service) Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment to honour its members who lost their lives in The Great War 1914-1919; the Battalion was raised in the Borough of Battersea, formed part of the 41st Division and greatly distinguished itself in 1916 at Flers, in 1917 at Messines Ridge and in 1918 at the Ypres Salient
On the neighbouring wall, details of the Vestry Hall of St. Mary Battersea in January 1864 - the "Vestry Hall" was the local government parish authority that pre-dated the formation of the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea; this board records the names of key people involved in running Battersea